Friday, June 6, 2008

Why, oh why




I'd like to know who determined at some point in time that bathroom stall doors in public restrooms, particularly in airports, should swing inward. Not exactly a stroke of genius. More like a design flaw. If you've ever traveled with a rolling suitcase or wheeled laptop bag, and tried to maneuver yourself into the stall without any unnecessary toilet frottage, you know what I mean. I decided not to check my bags on this last trip, which required two flights to get there and two flights to return (hey, at least I'm returning to a city I like now), and of course had to hurriedly dash to the bathroom between flights, with my wheeled laptop bag and my other carry-on strapped on top of it. Well. Let me tell you what a fiasco that was to try to wedge myself first, then both bags, into a stall that was already 95% occupied by a toilet.

First I had to flatten myself against the right-hand (facing) wall of the stall, which the door is hinged to, then try to open the door pretty much right onto my face while my bags uncomfortably tried to squeak through the less-than-adequate opening. I managed to get the bags into the stall, but now we're forming a bathroom door sandwich, with my bags and myself serving as the bread. So then I have to further wedge myself into the actual corner where the hinge is (hint: if your posterior is not naturally triangle-shaped, don't try this.), drag my bags sideways in front of and touching the toilet (yeeeeeech!), and only then could the damn door (barely) close, almost puncturing my bags in the process.

Thank goodness it wasn't an 'emergency', because I never would've made it with all that maneuvering, huffing, puffing, and eventual slamming followed by fuming.

WHO DESIGNED THIS?

Being a former almost-designer (does that count for anything?), I am well aware of the disadvantages of a door swinging outward from a stall (potential to get hit in the face, cause traffic-flow problems, etc.). However, somewhat ridiculously, the stall doors on the handicapped toilet stalls do swing outward. And they're the only people with the room to turn around inside and need to be able to reach the door once they're inside to close it! I think we need to reverse this.


Am I alone on this? Or do others experience the same frustration with the odious airport bathroom stalls? Larry Craig need not reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment