Wednesday, September 24, 2008

and the curse continues

If you've been following my blog, you'll know by now that I'm fairly convinced ma nature is good and angry with me for some massive deforestation I did on my property earlier this month.

I remain convinced, as the curse continues to haunt me. Sunday, I spent about 14 hours working on (re)installing a hardwood floor in our master bedroom. I say (re)installing because when we first attempted this room, there was a slight mathematical problem matching up with the planks coming through the opening for the french door, and we had to rip up 12 rows (about 20 ft long each) of the engineered wood. Carefully, so we could spend the next 3 days cleaning the dried glue and trying not to lose all of the product.

So we tried a different method this time, using the existing planks as our guide and working our way out to the walls. Except that didn't really work either. I somehow ended up doing most of the work myself, and finally had to quit from frustration and exhaustion around 2 am, only about 85% completed. And still crooked.

The crookedness is part of the curse, I think. We did 3 rooms perfectly prior to the felling of the trees. Now? Hmmph. "Just try to work productively with wood now", she seems to be mocking me.

And that's not the worst part. I am so unaccustomed to this kind of physical work (kneeling on concrete, albeit with knee pads, and swinging a hammer), that I seem to have aggravated some latent carpal tunnel syndrom that was just waiting for an event like this to flare up.

I had to find a chiropractor, which I was going to do anyway, to find some relief. My right hand was numb all day Monday and most of the day Tuesday. Pretty unpleasant.

Hopefully somebody on Craigslist will come through with some free or cheap plants to I can re-foliate my yard and placate the angry forces that are tormenting me.

Pictures of crappy floor to follow, when I can bring myself to face it.

No comments:

Post a Comment