Friday, July 11, 2008

my latest obsession

River rocks! Having discovered that the countertop of my dreams (seen here) would end up costing me about $8k (okay, so I'd get some shower glass in there, too, but STILL), I started researching what it would take to make it myself. I talked to product vendors about finding an epoxy that won't yellow or cloud up, got advice on how to build a pour mold, and ordered 40 lb. of these shiny river rocks above, which I adore. I need them to be less than 3/4" high to fit in the mold, so about half of them will go in some other bathroom-related project.

So I'm planning on creating a channel along the back of the counter (the part that will be on the wall) that will house LED lights to light the whole thing from within, and it's going to be topped off with a 1/4" of glass to protect it, since one hot coffee cup would be all it takes to blemish it. Our sinks are surface-mount basins, so I only need 4 small drain holes for them and the faucets. I'll find a glazier locally to handle all of that. I just need to concentrate on building a watertight mold and pouring the layers quickly enough, then keeping the dang thing level until it cures. That's a lot of precision for someone who embraces, nay, specializes in imperfections. Well, I'm nothing if not creatively ambitious.

No comments:

Post a Comment