Sunday, July 6, 2008

Plan B


Due to the fume-snorting, hair-pulling, baseboard ruining, money-wasting problems we've been having with staining our concrete, we've resorted to Plan B for the rest of the house (the bedrooms and office). Engineered hardwood.

I'd go straight for the hardwood, but we're in the damp state of Florida, and you can't put solid hardwood on slab; if the moisture permeates the concrete, your boards will probably warp and cup and that won't be good. Hence, engineered wood. Not quite the same as laminate, which is a picture of wood laminated onto a plank of something that was derived from wood. Engineered wood is actual thin strips of hardwood laminated onto that same plank-y thing.

Not sure if we can install it floating or if we have to glue it down. I've heard that doing the glue method is a little glimpse into the 7th level of hell. And I am absolutely 100% sure that I'd end up with glue in my hair and have to cut it out. Don't ask me how I know, I just do.

I seem to have turned into Charlie Brown as of late. I don't know what it is. I used to be handy! I used to be able to cook! I could shoot a decent game of pool! Now, I can barely unwrap a frozen pizza without injuring myself, much less spread a skim coat of concrete on a floor. I turned that into such a hot mess that the Other Half had to go back over the mess I had made (which I only did wrong because I actually followed the directions..which were WRONG) and un-do it. I was then not to be trusted with the Magic Squeegee, which we used to smooth out the skim coat - so he had to do the rest of the floor. Hmmph. That's what he gets for being good at everything.

I must have lost my mojo somewhere. Maybe Miami ate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment